The Colby-Pulver House is closed for the season. See you in '22!
The Colby-Pulver House is closed for the season. See you in '22!
1. From 1908 to 1931 the Rochester, Lockport & Buffalo interurban rail line ran east west thru Spencerport. Which village street has the tracks buried under the asphalt?
ANSWER: West Avenue
2. The cannon from Fairfield Cemetery misfired and was split. It got a second life as a hitching post. On which quiet village street, north of the canal and east of Union Street can it still be found?
ANSWER: Bowery Street
3. Today which business operates in the New York Central Railroad Spencerport Station on Martha Street?
ANSWER: Expressions of Dance By Lisa
4. The Lincoln House Hotel, torn down in the 1950's, stood on Union Street along the south west bank of the canal. What two things are there now?
ANSWER: a parking lot & gazebo
5. The oldest store in the village, sells items so unique. Write down their address number and then let's have a peek.
ANSWER: The Unique Shop, 130 South Union Street
6. A building on Main Street, that was once a bank, had it's front moved from Rochester. Which building is it?
ANSWER: The Schultz Building
7. The building at the corner of Union Street and West Avenue was once the Village Building. It housed the Spencerport Fire Department, Ogden Farmers Library and had space for meetings. What was the steeple used for?
ANSWER: drying the fire hoses
8. From his lumber yard east of South Union Street near the canal, Mr. McCabe supplied Ogden's building needs. What is the lumber yard called today?
ANSWER: Spencerport Village Plaza
9. The Moore family ran a coal business and later an Insurance Company north of the rail line on the east side of Union Street. What stands there today?
ANSWER: Ogden Senior Center & VIC's Ice Cream
10. She waits by the first high school to walk her brothers home. Find the address on the sign, you won't have far to roam.
ANSWER: Walker Brothers Funeral Home, 15 West Avenue
11. Spencerport Post Office has moved several times in it's history. In 1907 it moved across South Union Street into the Upton Block opposite Amity Street. What is the name of the business there today?
ANSWER: Performing Hair
12. I've never been to Texas, but I can go there for lunch. Eat a potato the size of Dallas, it packs a counter punch. What's the address?
ANSWER: Taste of Texas BBQ, 122 South Union Street
13. Ever see a soiled coat, be it red or green. Take it to the proper store so it can be come clean. What's the address?
ANSWER: Waterstraat Dry Cleaners, 500 South Union Street
1. How many flag poles are in front of what was once the Trowbridge Middle School?
2. Terry Taylor school has how many blue doors across it’s front?
AMSWER: 5 blue doors
3. What does Canal View Elementary School have a view of?
ANSWER: Spencerport soccer stadium.
4. In what year did Leo Bernabi Elementary School shine across the nation?
ANSWER: As a blue ribbon school, in 2013 it was awarded as a National School of Excellence.
5. Who is the Rangers Baseball Field A named for?
ANSWER: Harold "Chick" Schum
6. Which Spencerport School resembles a drive in?
ANSWER: Spencerport High School E. J. Wilson building
7. When was Ada Cosgrove Middle School designated a NYS essential elements school to watch?
8. Which Spencerport Elementary School is mere feet within the town of Ogden?
ANSWER: William C. Munn Elementary School
9. Which Spencerport School is not within the Village boundary?
ANSWER: all of them are outside the village limits.
10. Which school is your education partner of choice?
ANSWER: BOCES - Career & Technical Education
1. The wooden tower behind the Colby Pulver House was removed to make way for what brick building in the village?
ANSWER: the bridge tenders building
2. Low bridge everybody down, low bridge coz we’re comin to a town. You’ll always know your neighbor, you’ll always know your pal. Try not to hit your head on the Erie Canal. What am I?
ANSWER: a lift bridge
3. Let’s go to the Depot and get ourselves a book, Write down their numbers, not on a page, to find them you’ll have to look.
ANSWER: established 1906, restored 2007
4. Does the Canal flow to the east or west?
5 . Name the three flags flying from the lift bridge in Adams Basin.
ANSWER: American, New York State, NY Canal System
6. How long is the towpath from the Trimmer Road bridge to the Martha Street Bridge?
ANSWER: just about one mile
7. What is the majority of the canal lined with?
8. How many boats can connect to electric and water in front of the Depot Museum?
ANSWER: 4 boats
9. How many boats can connect to electric and water by the gazebo?
ANSWER: 3 boats
10. How many picnic tables are near the Bridge Tenders Tower in Adams Basin?
ANSWER: 3 picnic tables
1. Name the lodges at Pineway Ponds Park?
ANSWER: Boetcher, Owens, Canal Days, Gravelle
2. How many picnic tables are at Ogden Heritage Park?
ANSWER: 3 picnic tables
3. The plaque at the Ogden Veterans Memorial recognizes how many that served in the Korean Conflict?
ANSWER: 62 people are recognized
4. Which Adams Basin Park is on the north bank of the canal near where a canal bridge once stood?
ANSWER: Snick Hawkins
5. What grows at Springdale Farm?
ANSWER: Springdale Farm: Where Imaginations Grow.
6. How many Eagle Scouts have worked on the Rose Turner Park on Big Ridge Road?
ANSWER: 5 Eagel Scouts
7. When was the Clyde Carter Memorial dedicated?
ANSWER: July 20, 1997
8. Whose home is commemorated by a NYS Historical marker near the intersection of Canal Road & Washington Streets in Adams Basin?
ANSWER: Alexander Milliner
9. Who is the clock in the park, on the north east bank of the canal at Union Street, dedicated to?
ANSWER: Spencerport Mayor Lester C. Merz
9B. What is the name of the park in question 9?
ANSWER: Towpath Park
10. Which Grand Army of the Republic Post was the Civil War Monument in Fairfield Cemetery dedicated to?
ANSWER: The Martindale Post.
1. Dewey Street changes to which street at the Ogden Town line?
Bangs Road ~ Vroom Rd ~ Reed Road ~ Whittier Road
ANSWER: Reed Road
2. What stands near the stones on top of Woodchuck Hill? Hint: Ogden Center Road
trees ~ water tower ~ houses ~ barn
ANSWER: a water tower
3. What is the name of the store in Town Pump?
ANSWER: Anthony's Ice Cream
4. In what year was the need for Ogden Parma TL Road established?
5. How many bridges cross the canal in Ogden?
ANSWER: 6, Gallup Road, Washington Street, Trimmer Road, Union Street, Gillet Road, Manitou Road
6. What are the names of the two tallest Daylilyʼs at the Colby Pulver House?
ANSWER: Challenger & Autumn Minaret
7. Spencerport American Legion collects worn American flags for proper disposal. What do they collect them in?
ANSWER: USPS mailbox or drop box
8. What year was the Ogden Farmers library established?
9. What road is the westernmost boundary to the Town of Ogden?
ANSWER: Gallup Road
10. What Ogden homestead, on the towns eastern border, uses a vintage truck to hold their sign?
ANSWER: Homesteads for Hope
1. Which village church is made from stone and painted clapboard?
ANSWER: The First Congregational Church
2. Where is the bell at the Presbyterian Church?
ANSWER: hanging from an arch in the lawn at the front door
3. How many steps lead to the front door of the Trinity Lutheran Church?
ANSWER: 9 steps
4. Which village church has a large rosette window?
ANASWER: Spencerport United Methodist Church on Amity Street
5. What type of roof keeps the weather out of St. John’s church?
6. How many stained glass windows are in the Ogden Baptist Church?
ANSWER: 9 stained glass windows
7. How many banners welcome you to the Calvary Chapel Westside?
ANSWER: 4 banners
8. Which Ogden church is south of the golf course on Trimmer Road?
ANSWER: Assembly of God on Canal Road
9. Which Ogden church is part of a Cambodian & Nepali Ministry?
ANSWER: The Wesleyan Church on Nichols Street
10. Which Ogden church is across the street from a Little Red Preschool?
ANSWER: United Methodist in Adams Basin
1. Which Ogden cemetery is memorialized behind Kitchens by Countryside?
ANSWER: The Pioneer Cemetery or Campion Wright Cemetery no longer exists
2. Ogden has 10 Cemeteries. Where is the one named after the original settlement. Hint: Daniel Spencer rests there.
Ogden Center Rd. ~ Evergreen Street ~ South Union St. ~ Canal Road
ANSWER: Fairfield Cemetery, established in 1853 is located on South Union Street.
3. In the Colby Street Cemetery, obelisks mark the graves of the Colby brothers and tell the stories of their lives. Where were the Colby’s born?
ANSWER: Salisbury, Merrimack County, New Hampshire.
4. In St. John’s cemetery which family marked their final resting places with broken column footstones?
ANSWER: The Kiernan Family
5. Confederate soldier Dewitt Clinton Guy rests with his wife and her family in Fairfield Cemetery. What was his wife’s maiden name? Hint: VIII - D
ANSWER: He married Martha Flagg.
6. Hubbell Road is named for an Ogden resident & Civil War POW buried in Maple Grove Cemetery. Who is he?
ANSWER: Oreb Hubell
7. Frances Willard, founding member and president of the WCTU, was born in Ogden in 1839. Her uncle is buried at Maple Grove Cemetery. What is his name?
ANSWER: Zophar Willard
8. Tangelwood Cemetery on Brower Road is also know by another name. What is that name?
ANSWER: Whittier Cemetery
9. Who is the Revolutionary War Major buried in the cemetery on Washington Street, south of the canal, in Adams Basin?
ANSWER: Major A. [Andonijah] Skinner
9B. Name the Cemetery in question above.
ANSWER: Shaffer Cemetery
10. Locust Grove Cemetery is the final resting place of which Adams brother who, in 1827, established a Tavern and Inn on the Erie Canal towpath in Adams Basin.
ANSWER: Marcus Adams